Whether you freely admit it or not, money is a great thing to have. Especially when you can earn it passively (or at the very least, on your own terms far, far away from an office building). Who knows? Maybe in a few years, you’ll have accrued a nice bit of revenue from your ventures, making it possible to buy a fancy boat or even a house in Miami!
Build A Niche Blog (or Website) and Use Affiliate Marketing
What exactly is affiliate marketing and how can it make you money? The simple idea behind it is that you promote other people’s products, oftentimes through an affiliate network, and earn a cut of the revenue in commission as thanks for your marketing efforts. There are many options as well! Amazon Associate, PeerFly, and ShareASale are just a couple. The wonderful thing about this stream of income is that it is, predominantly, passive! Or well, after you’ve established yourself at least.
However, the catch is that, initially, some grunt work is required. Matter of fact, don’t be surprised if you’re spending upwards of more than ten hours a week trying to build a substantial site that will drive enough traffic to make affiliate links fruitful.
Increase Website Ranking
Because delivering specific tips on how to increase your website’s page ranking would require a separate article entirely, here are a few tips:
- Finding a good website builder: Finding a website builder is often a tradeoff between the ease of usage and whether it’s SEO-friendly or not. A list of popular builders are WordPress.org, Wix, Shopify, BoldGrid, and Weebly, just to name a few. Some research will be necessary here so that you can make an informed decision on what solution will work for you.
- Publish relevant content: Identify and target a specific keyword phrase for each article by thinking about how your reader would search for a said topic. For example, if your blog is supposed to appeal to new moms, an example of a phrase could be “best baby strollers 2018” or “Miami mom bloggers”. Then, you would repeat this phrase in the header and footer, as well as several times throughout the article’s body.
- Metadata: When publishing your website, you’ll notice that each page contains a space between the <head> tags to insert metadata or information about the contents of your page. The architecture would look like:
- Title Metadata: Whenever you open a website and see the page title displayed along the tab, this is known as the title metadata. It’s the most important element of any page.
- Description Metadata: This is the textual description that a browser may use in your page search return. Think of it as your site’s elevator pitch: keep it clear, concise and appealing. Generally, as a rule of thumb, a good description metadata will be two sentences long.
- Keyword Metadata: This is rarely, if ever used, to determine page rankings. However, since you already know the keyword phrases, it doesn’t hurt to add them into your keyword metadata.
Become a freelancer
If you have a marketable skill—such as writing, web development, marketing, voice acting, proofreading, project management, or literally anything else—sell it! People are always looking for services on the Internet, especially when they can pick it up quickly and easily. While freelancing might not be as scalable as other ventures (such as you as an individual can only work so much), it’s definitely not uncommon to rake in a six-figure salary with some dedication and hard work.
And it’s not as uncommon as you may think! Millions of Americans are leaving their jobs and traditional careers to start a freelance business, with flexibility and self-ownership being two enticing benefits. No worries—there’s plenty of work and clients to go around, and a plethora of services to help facilitate these transactions. Upwork, Flexjobs, and SolidGigs are a few known options, but don’t stop there! There’s plenty of skill-specific job boards, and posting on social media can also go a long way in terms of finding work as well.
Here are some tips on becoming a freelancer:
- Write down your goals: Do you want to make a couple hundred dollars a month or a thousand? Do you eventually want to quit your day job and do this full time? It takes time and dedication to ramp up a freelance business from the ground up, so jumpstart the process with a list of realistic expectations.
- Do research on finding the most profitable niche: Some skills are simply more in demand than others. For example, being able to develop a mobile app or a website, will typically be high compensation and low competition in comparison to say, writing. Of course, you shouldn’t advertise skills you don’t have, but it might be worth investing some time to learn them or try to make the skills you do have look more attractive.
- Set reasonable prices: Go back to your goals. Do you want to make this a full-time venture? Then you’d probably have to consider what prices you’d need to charge to have a viable annual salary. This will require some market research as well as trial and error.
- Wrangle in your first customers: Being passive won’t guide you down the road to success. Matter of fact, some grunt work is required to generate awareness for your brand. Reach out to potential clients over email or through LinkedIn.
Become an Instagram Influencer
Social media is a central part of our society, so it definitely doesn’t come as a surprise that you can make a decent chunk of change capitalizing on it. By building up your Instagram following, you get to unlock certain benefits. Like major companies reaching out to you! There are plenty of brands, gear companies, and even startups that would be more than willing to shell out $500-$5,000+ per post to advertise to your audience! It has been proven that Instagram advertising is a lucrative venture if done correctly by companies looking to increase their brand awareness.
Here are some tips on how to supercharge your follower growth on Instagram:
- Post consistently (at least once a day)
- Post interesting videos, live videos, and stories
- Research popular hashtags and use them accordingly
- Collaborate with others and build a network of friendships
- Post at your best times
- Share user-generated content
- Host contests
Each of these topics definitely deserves an article each, but more information is freely available on the Internet for your perusal!